Skip to content
Ova News NG

Ova News NG

Ova News feed Aggr. V2

Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • SPORTS
  • POLITICS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES
  • WATCH
  • Home
  • NEWS
  • Mokwa Flood: Niger State Withdraws Claim Of ‘6,000 Trailers Of Rice’ For Victims
  • NEWS

Mokwa Flood: Niger State Withdraws Claim Of ‘6,000 Trailers Of Rice’ For Victims

ovanews 1 year ago 3 min read
Share:
File Photo: Bags of Rice

The Niger State Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management has issued an apology over what it described as a “slip of tongue” by the Commissioner, Ahmed Baba Suleiman Yumu, during a recent interview on Channels Television regarding relief efforts following the devastating flood in Mokwa Local Government Area.

During the interview, the Commissioner erroneously stated that “6,000 trailers of rice” had been released to flood victims, instead of the correct figure of “6,000 bags of rice” approved by Governor Umaru Mohammed Bago.

The misstatement, which caused confusion and criticism, was attributed to the Commissioner being overwhelmed by the scale of destruction and the emotional toll of the disaster.

According to a statement signed on Wednesday by Habibu A. Wushishi, Director of Media and Strategy at the Ministry, the error was made in the heat of the moment and under stress while managing the disaster.

“We accept full responsibility for the mistake and we most sincerely apologise for such a costly error,” the Ministry stated.

The ministry further assured the public of its commitment to the equitable distribution of relief materials and reiterated condolences to the bereaved families.

THE WHISTLER reported that the flooding triggered by torrential rains ravaged Mokwa on Wednesday, May 28, which led to the deaths of over 200 residents and the displacement of hundreds more.

Floodwaters submerged homes, washed away properties worth millions of Naira, and forced thousands into makeshift camps.

During the interview, Suleiman also revealed that over 200 corpses had been recovered, with search operations still ongoing.

“Nobody can tell you the number of casualties in Niger State right now because up till now, we are still looking for some corpses,” he said.

The Niger State Government has since activated an emergency response and directed the deployment of relief items to affected communities.

Governor Umaru Bago’s wife also visited the area and donated N50m to aid the victims.

The flood victims have expressed frustration over the pace and adequacy of relief interventions despite efforts by the state government.

During a visit to the affected communities, displaced persons expressed concerns over poor living conditions and food shortages.

“We are 17 in my household, but we were only given one loaf of bread and some tea,” Mama Isah, one of the victims, who also appealed to authorities to allow NGOs and individuals to deliver aid directly, told Channels TV.

A volunteer, Hussaini Muhammed, described the camps as unsuitable for human habitation and highlighted the need for urgent infrastructural support.

In a related development, the Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation, Engr. Joseph Utsev, debunked claims that the Mokwa flood was caused by water releases from the Kainji and Jebba Dams.

At a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday, the Minister attributed the disaster to extreme weather conditions worsened by unregulated construction that blocked a tributary of River Dingi.

He stressed that both dams remain intact and safe, and urged state and local governments to heed the 2025 Annual Flood Outlook (AFO) released by the Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency (NIHSA), which had predicted potential flooding in 19 LGAs of Niger State, including Mokwa.

“The flooding was primarily driven by intense rainfall and aggravated by the absence of efficient water diversion channels,” Utsev explained.

He called for stronger enforcement of land-use regulations and public awareness campaigns to mitigate future disasters.

Technical teams from NIHSA, the Upper Niger River Basin Development Authority (UNRBDA), and the National Water Resources Institute (NWRI) are currently on the ground in Mokwa to assess the full extent of the damage.

As of June 1, the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) confirmed the recovery and burial of 155 bodies.

However, in its apology, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs reaffirmed its dedication to transparency and the judicious use of all donated resources.

“We assure members of the general public and particularly the victims of the flood disaster of the Ministry’s commitment…We are deeply sorry,” the statement read.

Mokwa Flood: Niger State Withdraws Claim Of ‘6,000 Trailers Of Rice’ For Victims is first published on The Whistler Newspaper

Share:

Related:

  • Flooding: Wike defends demolition of Abuja structures blocking waterways
    Flooding: Wike defends…
    NEWS
  • Osun people shouldn’t feel betrayed by Adeleke’s endorsement of Tinubu — Aide
    Osun people shouldn’t feel…
    NEWS
  • NANS suspends Ondo protest after govt approves 60% subvention increase
    NANS suspends Ondo protest…
    NEWS
  • Even if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
    Even if Tinubu appoints Seyi…
    NEWS
  • Osun election: We collaborated with Accord to stop APC – ADC
    Osun election: We…
    NEWS

Post navigation

Previous Supreme Court Nullifies Jokolo’s Reinstatement As Emir of Gwandu
Next Oando Eyes Growth With Newly Acquired Assets

Recent

Atiku mourns Ogogo, says actor’s death leaves ‘painful void’ in Nollywood

Atiku mourns Ogogo, says actor’s death leaves ‘painful void’ in Nollywood

Jide Kosoko, others pay tribute to late Taiwo ‘Ogogo’ Hassan

Jide Kosoko, others pay tribute to late Taiwo ‘Ogogo’ Hassan

Atiku politicizing nation’s economy with his flip-flops on subsidy – Presidency

Atiku politicizing nation’s economy with his flip-flops on subsidy – Presidency

Weah calls for independent judiciary to safeguard democracy

Weah calls for independent judiciary to safeguard democracy

Weah calls for independent judiciary to safeguard democracy

Weah calls for independent judiciary to safeguard democracy

Goronyo boat disaster, terror attacks: Gorau demands decisive security action

Goronyo boat disaster, terror attacks: Gorau demands decisive security action

SECTIONS

  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FOOTBALL
  • NEWS
  • POLITICS
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES ⚽ ⚽ ⚽

Hey There!!., Get all Latest Ova News Feeds on the Go! 👋

Sign up to receive all Our latest News content Recap in your inbox every weekend.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Quick Links

  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Live Football Scores
  • Premier League Scores

Legal

  • About
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy

Connect with Us

  • News Media Partners
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
Copyright © 2025 Ova News Network | Created by Ben Ova O. | All Rights Reserved. | Magnitude by AF themes.
pixel