Skip to content
Ova News NG

Ova News NG

Ova News feed Aggr. V2

Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • SPORTS
  • POLITICS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES
  • WATCH
  • Home
  • NEWS
  • Flooding: Wike defends demolition of Abuja structures blocking waterways
  • NEWS

Flooding: Wike defends demolition of Abuja structures blocking waterways

ovanews 3 hours ago 2 min read
Share:

Nyesom Wike

By Omeiza Ajayi

ABUJA: Minister of the Federal Capital Territory FCT, Nyesom Wike, has defended the ongoing demolition of structures blocking water channels in Abuja, telling critics that those who erected the structures were themselves acting outside the law.

Wike spoke on Wednesday while responding to questions on the demolition exercise, which began after his inspection of flood-prone areas of Maitama on Tuesday.

Confronted with criticisms on social media over whether the FCT Administration had followed due process, the minister fired back: “What is due process? You went to block a water channel—is that due process?”

He insisted that the FCT Administration, not those who obstructed the waterways, was on the right side of the law. “I am the one following due process to make sure the right thing is being done,” he said.

The minister made clear that the enforcement would not stop at Maitama, with the FCT Administration set to move into other parts of the city where structures had been erected on or around drainage and water channels.

“Certainly. We have just started somewhere. After that, we move to another area. We are not going to end just with what we started yesterday,” Wike said.

He explained that clearing the obstructions would restore the free flow of water and help address flooding in affected communities, adding that the FCT Administration’s responsibility was to protect the wider public wherever private structures created flood risks for residents.

Wike’s remarks come amid growing concern over weekend’s flooding in several parts of Abuja, including Maitama, Lokogoma and Wuse, following heavy rainfall in the capital.

The FCT Administration has in recent weeks intensified its clampdown on structures encroaching on waterways and drainage corridors as part of efforts to improve flood control and enforce the territory’s master plan.

The post Flooding: Wike defends demolition of Abuja structures blocking waterways appeared first on Vanguard News.

Share:

Related:

  • FG unveils loan for Nigerians to build or buy houses – How to apply
    FG unveils loan for Nigerians…
    NEWS
  • Even if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
    Even if Tinubu appoints Seyi…
    NEWS
  • Trump hints at fresh talks with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un
    Trump hints at fresh talks…
    NEWS
  • Nigeria must end dependence on govt to fund electricity sector — Presidential aide
    Nigeria must end dependence…
    NEWS
  • Osun people shouldn’t feel betrayed by Adeleke’s endorsement of Tinubu — Aide
    Osun people shouldn’t feel…
    NEWS

Post navigation

Previous Isese Day: Ogun declares Thursday public holiday
Next Tinubu certificate case: Plaintiff rejects transfer from Kano to Abuja

Recent

Canada warns applicants against fake documents, false information

Canada warns applicants against fake documents, false information

FG begins 250-unit civil servants’ estate in Abuja

FG begins 250-unit civil servants’ estate in Abuja

Makinde declares Thursday work-free for Isese Day

Makinde declares Thursday work-free for Isese Day

Peter Obi celebrates Uncle Sam, commends Vanguard’s role in nation-building

Peter Obi celebrates Uncle Sam, commends Vanguard’s role in nation-building

Tinubu certificate case: Plaintiff rejects transfer from Kano to Abuja

Tinubu certificate case: Plaintiff rejects transfer from Kano to Abuja

Flooding: Wike defends demolition of Abuja structures blocking waterways

Flooding: Wike defends demolition of Abuja structures blocking waterways

SECTIONS

  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FOOTBALL
  • NEWS
  • POLITICS
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES ⚽ ⚽ ⚽

Hey There!!., Get all Latest Ova News Feeds on the Go! 👋

Sign up to receive all Our latest News content Recap in your inbox every weekend.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Quick Links

  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Live Football Scores
  • Premier League Scores

Legal

  • About
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy

Connect with Us

  • News Media Partners
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
Copyright © 2025 Ova News Network | Created by Ben Ova O. | All Rights Reserved. | Magnitude by AF themes.
pixel