Skip to content
Ova News NG

Ova News NG

Ova News feed Aggr. V2

Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • SPORTS
  • POLITICS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES
  • WATCH
  • Home
  • NEWS
  • Maradona trial paused over possible medical evidence mix-up
  • NEWS

Maradona trial paused over possible medical evidence mix-up

ovanews 1 hour ago 2 min read
Share:

Maradona trial paused over possible medical evidence mix-up

The latest trial over the death of Argentine football legend Diego Maradona was suspended Thursday following claims that kidney tests presented to the court belonged to the player’s father.

Seven health care workers are accused of criminal negligence over the care Maradona received before his death at age 60 in November 2020, while he was recuperating from surgery.

The first trial was dramatically annulled last year after two-and-a-half months of hearings, following revelations that one of the judges took part in a clandestine documentary about the case.

A new trial began in April.

It had been drawing near a close when it too became embroiled in controversy.

The defense claims that kidney tests produced at the trial belonged to Maradona’s father, also called Diego, who died in 2015, not the star of the 1986 World Cup.

The court adjourned the hearings until August 27 to allow for a review of the evidence.

Maradona died of heart failure and acute pulmonary edema — a condition where fluid accumulates in the lungs — at a rented home in the Buenos Aires suburb of Tigre two weeks after undergoing surgery for a brain clot.

His medical team is accused of providing inadequate care in the lead-up to his death, which it denies.

On Tuesday, a nephrologist told the court that the condition of the player’s kidneys should have been a red flag for his doctors.

He said the larger-than-life footballer, who had a history of cocaine abuse, should have undergone “daily medical checkups, daily nursing care, blood tests and monitoring of his vital signs.”

The prosecution assured that the alleged text mix-up in no way jeopardized their case.

“They (the defense) will not succeed in bringing down the trial,” prosecutor Patricio Ferrari said Thursday.

A lawyer for one of the accused, nurse Nancy Forlini, denied any plans to seek a mistrial.

“I want this case to end so that my client knows her judicial fate,” he said.

If confirmed that the kidney test results were those of Maradona’s father, it could discredit the medical commission set up to evaluate the circumstances of Maradona’s death.

The nephrologist who testified Tuesday is part of the commission, which has been highly critical of the care the star received.

AFP

The post Maradona trial paused over possible medical evidence mix-up appeared first on Vanguard News.

Share:

Related:

  • NANS suspends Ondo protest after govt approves 60% subvention increase
    NANS suspends Ondo protest…
    NEWS
  • Tinubu certificate case: Plaintiff rejects transfer from Kano to Abuja
    Tinubu certificate case:…
    NEWS
  • Balanga residents in Gombe reject claims of road neglect
    Balanga residents in Gombe…
    NEWS
  • State Police: Working group on track with 7-week timeline – Gbajabiamila
    State Police: Working group…
    NEWS
  • Cement price: FCCPC uncovers possible manipulation after 3-month probe
    Cement price: FCCPC uncovers…
    NEWS

Post navigation

Previous Osun election: Tinubu played fair, fought for democracy – Adeleke
Next US charges woman with plot to blow up New York State Capitol

Recent

US charges woman with plot to blow up New York State Capitol

US charges woman with plot to blow up New York State Capitol

Maradona trial paused over possible medical evidence mix-up

Maradona trial paused over possible medical evidence mix-up

Osun election: Tinubu played fair, fought for democracy – Adeleke

Osun election: Tinubu played fair, fought for democracy – Adeleke

State Police: Working group on track with 7-week timeline – Gbajabiamila

State Police: Working group on track with 7-week timeline – Gbajabiamila

Subsidy restoration, demonstration of serious ignorance on governance, economy – Tinubu

Subsidy restoration, demonstration of serious ignorance on governance, economy – Tinubu

Boat capsizes in Goronyo, authorities mobilise for rescue

Boat capsizes in Goronyo, authorities mobilise for rescue

SECTIONS

  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FOOTBALL
  • NEWS
  • POLITICS
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES ⚽ ⚽ ⚽

Hey There!!., Get all Latest Ova News Feeds on the Go! 👋

Sign up to receive all Our latest News content Recap in your inbox every weekend.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Quick Links

  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Live Football Scores
  • Premier League Scores

Legal

  • About
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy

Connect with Us

  • News Media Partners
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
Copyright © 2025 Ova News Network | Created by Ben Ova O. | All Rights Reserved. | Magnitude by AF themes.
pixel