Skip to content
Ova News NG

Ova News NG

Ova News NG feed V2

Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • SPORTS
  • POLITICS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES
  • Home
  • NEWS
  • Senate Okays Tinubu’s Request To Sack Three RECs
  • NEWS

Senate Okays Tinubu’s Request To Sack Three RECs

ovanews 7 months ago 2 min read
Share:

The Senate on Wednesday gave President Bola Tinubu the nod to sack Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) in three states for gross misconduct.

The affected RECs, who had been on suspension since 2022/2023, are Ike Uzochukwu (Abia), Hudu Yunusa-Ari (Adamawa), and Nura Ali (Sokoto).

The president’s request was granted following a letter addressed to the Senate and read at plenary by the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio.

The former Adamawa REC, Yunusa Ari, almost derailed the state’s governorship election when he usurped the role of the Returning Officer and announced Mrs Aisha Banani of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as winner.

It turned out that Ari compromised the integrity of the process after allegedly receiving $150, 000 bribe from one of the parties.

Senate Leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, who moved the motion, cited Section 157(1)
of the Constitution to back President Tinubu’s request.

Minority Leader, Abba Moro, who supported the motion, said sacking the errant RECs would serve as deterrent to other public office holders.

“This administration has promised Nigerians that they will fight corruption,so for this reason the termination will serve as a deterrence to those in public service,” Moro said.

Senate Chief Whip, Tahir Monguno, also backed the reauest to sack the RECs as requested by the president.

“The philosophical cornerstone of this motion is to reinforce section 157(1) of the constitution. We have been called upon to discharge our duties to protect the integrity of public offices,”. Monguno asaid.

The motion received an overwhelming voice vote as the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio brought down the gavel to seal the request.

Senate Okays Tinubu’s Request To Sack Three RECs is first published on The Whistler Newspaper

Facebook Comments Box
Share:

Related:

  • By-Elections Riddled With Violence, Vote Buying, Manipulation – ADC
    By-Elections Riddled With…
    POLITICS
  • Tinubu Hails APC Performance After 12 By-Election Victories
    Tinubu Hails APC Performance…
    NEWS
  • Kaduna ADC, SDP Unite, Allege APC Plot To Rig Bye-Elections
    Kaduna ADC, SDP Unite, Allege…
    NEWS
  • Winners Of Bye-Elections To Receive Certificates Thursday, Says INEC
    Winners Of Bye-Elections To…
    NEWS
  • Tambuwal: ADC, Obidient Movement fume as EFCC allegedly targets coalition leaders
    Tambuwal: ADC, Obidient…
    NEWS

Post navigation

Previous Police Nab 60-Year-Old Man For Allegedly Defiling Underaged Girl
Next Actress Olayinka Solomon battles memory loss after childbirth

  • Recent
  • Why Chioma Chukwuka doesn’t accept kissing, romantic roles – Patience Umeh
    • ENTERTAINMENT

    Why Chioma Chukwuka doesn’t accept kissing, romantic roles – Patience Umeh

  • You need three other boyfriends in your life – Tacha advises young women
    • ENTERTAINMENT

    You need three other boyfriends in your life – Tacha advises young women

  • The World Food Programme’s chief Cindy McCain calls for a surge in food aid to Gaza
    • WORLD NEWS

    The World Food Programme’s chief Cindy McCain calls for a surge in food aid to Gaza

  • Migrants report brutal treatment by EU funded security forces
    • WORLD NEWS

    Migrants report brutal treatment by EU funded security forces

  • 23,659 Nigerians currently missing, disappeared – ICRC reveals
    • NEWS

    23,659 Nigerians currently missing, disappeared – ICRC reveals

  • EPL: Chelsea’s 2025/26 squad numbers in full
    • NEWS

    EPL: Chelsea’s 2025/26 squad numbers in full

  • Benue Assembly rejects Gov Alia’s correspondence on commissioner nominees screening
    • NEWS

    Benue Assembly rejects Gov Alia’s correspondence on commissioner nominees screening

  • Court dismisses admission seeking pupil’s suit against Loyola Jesuit College
    • NEWS

    Court dismisses admission seeking pupil’s suit against Loyola Jesuit College

  • Police denied me access to doctor after breaking my hand – Sowore cries out
    • NEWS

    Police denied me access to doctor after breaking my hand – Sowore cries out

  • Change of plan as male chief priest carries sacred calabash at Osun festival
    • NEWS

    Change of plan as male chief priest carries sacred calabash at Osun festival

  • Why Chioma Chukwuka doesn’t accept kissing, romantic roles – Patience Umeh
    • ENTERTAINMENT

    Why Chioma Chukwuka doesn’t accept kissing, romantic roles – Patience Umeh

  • You need three other boyfriends in your life – Tacha advises young women
    • ENTERTAINMENT

    You need three other boyfriends in your life – Tacha advises young women

  • The World Food Programme’s chief Cindy McCain calls for a surge in food aid to Gaza
    • WORLD NEWS

    The World Food Programme’s chief Cindy McCain calls for a surge in food aid to Gaza

  • Migrants report brutal treatment by EU funded security forces
    • WORLD NEWS

    Migrants report brutal treatment by EU funded security forces

  • 23,659 Nigerians currently missing, disappeared – ICRC reveals
    • NEWS

    23,659 Nigerians currently missing, disappeared – ICRC reveals

SECTIONS

  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • NEWS
  • POLITICS
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES ⚽ ⚽ ⚽

Hey There!!., Get all Latest Ova News Feeds on the Go! 👋

Sign up to receive all Our latest News content Recap in your inbox every weekend.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Quick Links

  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Live Football Scores
  • Premier League Scores

Legal

  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy

Connect with Us

  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
Copyright © 2025 Ova News Network | Created by Ben Ova O. | All Rights Reserved. | Magnitude by AF themes.
pixel