Skip to content
Ova News NG

Ova News NG

Ova News NG feed V2

Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • SPORTS
  • POLITICS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES
  • Home
  • NEWS
  • NRC MD Apologises For Verbal Assault On NTA Journalist
  • NEWS

NRC MD Apologises For Verbal Assault On NTA Journalist

ovanews 4 hours ago 3 min read
Share:

The Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Dr. Kayode Opeifa, has apologised to the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) for his verbal abuse on a journalist covering the aftermath of the recent Abuja-Kaduna train derailment.

Speaking at a press briefing on Sunday, at the NUJ FCT Council Secretariat in Abuja, Opeifa described his earlier comments as “unkind” and made in the “heat of the moment.”

He expressed regret over the incident, and pledged to rebuild trust with journalists and prevent future occurrences.

“I wish to offer my apology for the regrettable remarks I made, which were not only directed at a seasoned journalist but also reflected unfavorably on the NUJ FCT and NAWOJ,” Opeifa said. “I take full responsibility and I am sorry.”

The NRC boss extended an unreserved apology to Comrade Ladi Bala, immediate past National Chairperson of the Nigeria Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ) and staff of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).

He also apologised to the management of NTA, NAWOJ, the NUJ FCT Council, editors, and civil society actors in the media space.

Opeifa acknowledged the indispensable role of journalists in informing the public, assuring that his administration would foster a respectful and collaborative relationship with the press.

He announced that internal measures had been initiated within the NRC to forestall such incidents and reiterated his stance as a “friend of the media” and a “HeForShe champion” for gender equality.

Opeifa emphasised that the Asham accident and the subsequent controversy had been a sobering reminder of the importance of respectful engagement with the press.

“Journalists remain friends and valued partners of NRC,” he added.

His apology followed mounting pressure from media stakeholders after the incident on August 27, 2025, at Asham Town, Kaduna State, where an NRC train derailed.

According to accounts from journalists present, the NRC MD disrupted Bala’s live coverage, hurled derogatory words such as “stupid” and “useless,” questioned her professionalism, and ordered security operatives to forcibly remove her from the accident scene.

He allegedly further threatened to report her to security agencies, the presidency, and NTA management.

The NUJ FCT Council, in a statement, condemned Opeifa’s conduct, and described it as “dehumanising” and “a gross violation of press freedom.” The council demanded a public apology, while warning that harassment and intimidation of journalists would no longer be tolerated.

Reaffirming the union’s position during the press briefing, NUJ FCT Council Chairperson, Comrade Grace Ike, said, “We will continue to fight for our rights, and for freedom, and we will not relent in fighting against journalists’ harassment. In NUJ FCT, we have zero tolerance for intimidation, and an injury to one is an injury to all. From this unfortunate incident, we hope others will learn not to see journalists as enemies but as partners. We won’t take it lightly going forward. I appreciate everyone for standing in solidarity for one of our own.”

Present at the briefing were the National Chairperson of NAWOJ, Hajiya Aisha Ibrahim, former National Chairperson of NAWOJ, Comrade Ladi Bala, executive members of NUJ FCT Council, and women’s rights groups, who collectively reaffirmed solidarity with Bala.

NRC MD Apologises For Verbal Assault On NTA Journalist is first published on The Whistler Newspaper

Facebook Comments Box
Share:

Related:

  • Abuja-Kaduna Train Accident: NRC Activates Emergency Response
    Abuja-Kaduna Train Accident:…
    NEWS
  • BREAKING: NRC suspends Abuja-Kaduna train services after derailment
    BREAKING: NRC suspends…
    NEWS
  • ‘Urgent action needed’ – Atiku on Abuja-Kaduna train derailment
    ‘Urgent action needed’ –…
    NEWS
  • NRC MD apologises to verbally assaulted journalist, names her Ambassador for Media Advocacy
    NRC MD apologises to verbally…
    NEWS
  • I take responsibility for Abuja-Kaduna train derailment — NRC MD
    I take responsibility for…
    NEWS

Post navigation

Previous EPL: Slot explains why Liverpool defeated Arsenal 1-0
Next Ten Hag set to be sacked as Bayer Leverkusen manager

  • Recent
  • Brighton Stun Man City with Dramatic Second-Half Comeback
    • NEWS

    Brighton Stun Man City with Dramatic Second-Half Comeback

  • Israeli takeover of Gaza City is under way
    • WORLD NEWS

    Israeli takeover of Gaza City is under way

  • NNL: Abubakar pleased with Lobi Stars’ build-up to new season
    • NEWS

    NNL: Abubakar pleased with Lobi Stars’ build-up to new season

  • Ligue 1: Moses Simon fires Paris FC to victory over Metz
    • NEWS

    Ligue 1: Moses Simon fires Paris FC to victory over Metz

  • 2027: ‘I know where APC’s dead body is buried’ – El-Rufai vows to retire Tinubu
    • NEWS

    2027: ‘I know where APC’s dead body is buried’ – El-Rufai vows to retire Tinubu

  • EPL: Chelsea’s 2025/26 squad numbers in full
    • NEWS

    EPL: Chelsea’s 2025/26 squad numbers in full

  • Benue Assembly rejects Gov Alia’s correspondence on commissioner nominees screening
    • NEWS

    Benue Assembly rejects Gov Alia’s correspondence on commissioner nominees screening

  • Court dismisses admission seeking pupil’s suit against Loyola Jesuit College
    • NEWS

    Court dismisses admission seeking pupil’s suit against Loyola Jesuit College

  • Police denied me access to doctor after breaking my hand – Sowore cries out
    • NEWS

    Police denied me access to doctor after breaking my hand – Sowore cries out

  • Change of plan as male chief priest carries sacred calabash at Osun festival
    • NEWS

    Change of plan as male chief priest carries sacred calabash at Osun festival

  • Brighton Stun Man City with Dramatic Second-Half Comeback
    • NEWS

    Brighton Stun Man City with Dramatic Second-Half Comeback

  • Israeli takeover of Gaza City is under way
    • WORLD NEWS

    Israeli takeover of Gaza City is under way

  • NNL: Abubakar pleased with Lobi Stars’ build-up to new season
    • NEWS

    NNL: Abubakar pleased with Lobi Stars’ build-up to new season

  • Ligue 1: Moses Simon fires Paris FC to victory over Metz
    • NEWS

    Ligue 1: Moses Simon fires Paris FC to victory over Metz

  • 2027: ‘I know where APC’s dead body is buried’ – El-Rufai vows to retire Tinubu
    • NEWS

    2027: ‘I know where APC’s dead body is buried’ – El-Rufai vows to retire Tinubu

SECTIONS

  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • NEWS
  • POLITICS
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD NEWS
  • LIVE FOOTBALL SCORES ⚽ ⚽ ⚽

Hey There!!., Get all Latest Ova News Feeds on the Go! 👋

Sign up to receive all Our latest News content Recap in your inbox every weekend.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Quick Links

  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Live Football Scores
  • Premier League Scores

Legal

  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy

Connect with Us

  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
Copyright © 2025 Ova News Network | Created by Ben Ova O. | All Rights Reserved. | Magnitude by AF themes.
pixel