Niger Republic Still MJTF Member, DHQ Denies Exit Reports

The Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. Markus Kangye, on Thursday, said that Niger Republic is still an active member of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MJTF).
Speaking at a press briefing on Thursday in Abuja, Kangye dismissed reports speculating that Niger Republic had withdrawn from the MJTF, stating that such claims have serious security implications.
The MJTF, established by the Lake Chad Commission countries, seeks to address common security concerns, with its main objective being to combat terrorism and other security threats.
Kangye said, “When you hear ‘dem say,’ it means the information lacks credibility. I think this area has been a subject of discourse for the past few months, especially when some members of ECOWAS decided to form an alliance and attempted to exit ECOWAS.
“But, you know, the Multinational Joint Task Force was established by the Lake Chad Commission countries to address their common security concerns.
“Nigeria has been making significant efforts to ensure the sustainability of this task force. However, if for any reason a member decides to pull out, the implications will be substantial. The synergy we are supposed to enjoy may no longer be there.
“It is not in our interest for any country to leave because whatever affects them also affects us. If a country withdraws, it creates a gap in effort and reduces the strength of the contingent from that country.
“Therefore, efforts must be made to prevent such a situation from happening. Do you understand? We will continue to examine the situation, and as we always do, we will provide further briefings when necessary.”
Speaking further, Kangye said the defence authorities have addressed lapses in the welfare of injured troops.
This followed concerns raised and allegations of negligence by the defence towards wounded soldiers in the line of duty.
“As to whether the welfare of troops is not taken care of, or that there are so many complaints about their welfare by troops.
“Well, to the best of my knowledge and what the armed forces are doing, our troops are adequately taken care of.
“If you have watched over the Sallah break, you would have noticed the Chief of Army Staff, the Chief of Air Staff, and other senior officers from service headquarters visiting troops at the front line to celebrate Sallah.
“And those that are wounded, I can still remember vividly that the Commander of Infantry, General A.K. Ibrahim, was at 44 Military Hospital to have lunch with our wounded in action.
“And last year, while I held sway as the Commander of Artillery, I personally was in that same 44 Military Hospital to stay with our troops on Christmas Day. I didn’t spend Christmas with my family.
“I was with our wounded in the hospital to celebrate Christmas. The year before, I was in Mangu, Plateau State, to also represent the Chief of Army Staff to have lunch with our troops. So the issue of whether troops are not taken care of is not true.
“I can also tell you that the Service Headquarters and the Armed Forces of Nigeria are taking good care of the sick and wounded. Some of them who require medical evacuation abroad are taken abroad for treatment. Some went to Egypt, some to Turkey, and I remember some are in India.
“As we speak, some are still there receiving medical attention, fully covered by the services. And also, I want to tell you about, was it in December or November? I don’t know the exact dates. Houses were issued to some of our wounded-in-action soldiers.”
Subsequently, Kangye said there is an estate built by the Army, and the Army issued “keys to soldiers, free.”
“So when you talk of the welfare of soldiers, don’t listen to some narratives that are passed in the public domain; some of these narratives are meant to discredit the efforts of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, and we say no to it.
“Our troops are well taken care of. Senior officers frequently visit them at the front line and in hospitals. Some of those needing advanced treatment have been flown to countries like Egypt, Turkey, and India,” he said.
Further addressing the killings of Edo travelers, Kangye said, “The political leadership of both Edo State and Kano State has taken action on the matter. You are aware that the political leadership of Edo State visited that of Kano State over the issue and the families of the victims.
“So at the political level, everything has been resolved. I don’t think there is going to be any issue. Anybody or group causing apprehension or threats, if security agencies are aware, will be investigated.”
“This is an AI-dominated information age. False narratives can be manipulated to create confusion. However, we will investigate all credible reports and take appropriate action,” he said.
Niger Republic Still MJTF Member, DHQ Denies Exit Reports is first published on The Whistler Newspaper