Niger govt shuts Mokwa IDP camp over security, alleged illicit activities
The Niger State Government has closed down the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp in Mokwa town, citing security concerns and allegations that the facility was being misused for illicit activities.
The camp, built by the Nigerian Red Cross Society as a temporary shelter for victims of the May 29 flash flood disaster, was demolished after an expanded security meeting at the Mokwa council secretariat.
Chairman of Mokwa Local Government Council, Alhaji Jibrin Abdullahi Muregi, said the Red Cross constructed the camp without official approval, describing it as a “danger in disguise” to the community.
He revealed that complaints from locals suggested that many of the occupants were not genuine victims of the flood, which claimed lives and destroyed property worth billions of naira.
According to Muregi, official letters were sent to organisations operating in the camp to vacate within 24 hours, while security agencies and Governor Umaru Bago were notified of the decision.
The closure was witnessed by the Area Commander of the Nigeria Police Force, New Bussa Area Command, ACP Godwin Ihean, alongside other security chiefs and traditional leaders.
Supporting the action, the Ndalile of Mokwa, Alhaji Muhammed Shaba, said over 85 per cent of flood victims had already received government compensation, blaming unresolved cases on bank account inconsistencies.
Residents who also welcomed the move, alleged that the camp was deserted in the day but filled with “unknown people” at night, raising fears it could become a bandits’ hideout. Another resident, accused some occupants of using the camp for immoral activities.
Governor Bago had earlier ordered the closure of IDP camps in June after compensating victims, with the majority already resettled.
Niger govt shuts Mokwa IDP camp over security, alleged illicit activities